Where did summer disappear to? We know there are two weeks left of August but it seems in a blink of an eye that it went from the sun setting around 8:50 p.m. to now getting dark around 8:25 p.m.
And the busier you are, the quicker time seems to fly. As the lazy days of August come to a conclusion, it’s time to start making plans for your business. The truth is – the fall months go quickly and the next thing you know it’s Jan. 1, 2015.
Here’s a check list of things to consider doing to increase sales in the fall months.
September is an ideal month to start planning for any sales or promotions you are going to have in the holiday months.
- Decide in September what your advertising budget will be. And consider where you will get the most leverage for your dollar – advertising in the local newspaper? Radio? Billboard? Television? Direct mail? At Oregon Marketing Group, we can help you decide the best avenue to reach your target audience and we can create the advertising campaign for your business.
- Don’t wait to contact your advertising representative. If you know you want to run an ad in the November issue of your local paper, make an appointment in September to talk with your local ad representative. Trust us – once October arrives, he will be running faster than any running back on a college football team.
- Know what your advertising goal is – do you want to increase sales by 10 percent? Clear out merchandise to make room for new merchandise? Increase the visibility of your company?
- Think like your customer. Truth is most consumers don’t plan ahead for winter storms, power outages or upcoming events. Most consumers like to shop last minute – whether it is for gifts or having their holiday lights professionally done. As a business owner your task is to think how you can help your customer – maybe it’s an early bird special or it’s a men’s shopping night. If you own a Christmas tree farm, consider advertising for people to reserve their tree in October and cut it down in December. The more creative you are in your advertising campaign, the more you will attract people’s attention. Challenge yourself to think outside the box.
Too often this is what happens, a company is celebrating its anniversary, hosting an event or having an annual sale. Instead of contacting the media weeks in advance to get something in the newspaper, a company employee calls the day before the event or after the paper’s deadline, then ask “Why can’t you get something in the paper?”
- Oregon Marketing Group can help you get your news in the media. By helping you create an editorial calendar, we can develop a campaign to target where you want to share your news. Let’s say your company is launching a new product in February. You need to start planning now to get it in magazines. Or if you are having an event in December, same is true. You want to know when a publication’s, or radio or television stations’ deadlines are. By hiring Oregon Marketing Group to launch your media campaign, it will cost but it will net you an increased audience.
Keep blogging, tweeting or Facebooking
- To be honest, one thing we have noticed is businesses are so busy with the day-to-day that they don’t think about planning ahead. And then another day has come and gone. Another opportunity missed. We invite you to meet with one of our specialist at Oregon Marketing Group to learn how we can plan a calendar to share you news, plan your advertising or how to increase your social media presence. Just give us a call.
- Social media is a fast and effective way to share your news. You can advertise you are looking for employees, share a picture of all the items you have bad weather, provide online coupons or advertise a sale.